Monday, November 29, 2010

American Thanksgiving: Hollywood You Lied Again

So, in Canada I remember watching television shows about a holiday where families gather together and eat straight off the carcass of a turkey, with over flowing dishes of stuffing and mashed potatoes and not to mention having so many people that you are breaking about 20 safety codes. Unfortunately, this is not quite the case in reality. Thanksgiving is usually a time for family and the eating takes a second place. The food is delicious and you do have left overs for weeks, but more importantly it's all about focusing what you are thankful for and what you have been given.

Hollywood...you lied to me...again.

Why do I even bother trusting ANYTHING that industry produces? I should learn my lesson and avoid ever believe another thing that comes from a movie. Everything that Hollywood has ever produced has been over glorified...if not out right wrong.

So i guess the lesson here is never trust Hollywood.

Now, my faithful reader, I want you to note that I, for once, am not going to bash on the United States. American Thanksgiving is actually a genuinely good holiday. Almost exactly the same as Canadian Thanksgiving, but only a month later and there is a shopping day which is pretty intense, but for all intense and purposes it's the same. Gratitude is the main item of the holiday and it's fun to just kick back, relax, and take a deep breath before plunging into finals.

Speaking of which finals are only a few weeks away. There are only 8 more days of classes left! Isn't that crazy??? Needless to say, it's pretty insane to think that in less then 3 weeks i'll be home. Reuniting with friends, eating Asian food, and sleeping. That was my only complaint about Thanksgiving...not being at home.

It was great hanging out with friends and making some new ones, and it was fun watching everyone enjoy their family time. But, I wish in someways I could have gone home and visited my family. I miss them a lot and so I guess spending time with an "adopted" family made me realize how grateful I truly am for them.

Yes, it happened, I was grateful for something on a holiday that technically not mine. But who cares...you can always show gratitude.

So, I survived my first ever Thanksgiving in the United States. And I am no closer to becoming an American, but I have gain (in someways) a new respect for them. But I'm still Canadian through and through, so deal with it!

Signing Off,
DG

No comments:

Post a Comment