Monday, October 11, 2010

...And The Pursuit of Happiness...

Well Canadians, it's blog day...and it's thanksgiving. Meaning everyone has the day off. Everyone that is, except for those in the states this fine Monday...

However, as I've spent many blogs on the mocking of the nation known as the US of A, i figure i should give all you Canadians some pointers to fit in among our "neighbours to the south", or what I've learned from Homecoming:

1) Homecoming is HUGE...sometimes. No really, it's true. For some people homecoming is like the best thing since sliced bread...for others it's just another week. For me...it was just another week...and for most of my friends it was just another week...but...uh...well it was big for someone.

2) Americans like parades. This is true. EVERYONE goes to watch the parade. And for those IN the parade...like me...one wishes they WEREN'T at the parade. Because it is painful...2 miles of pure pain. Constantly moving, feet start hurting, legs cramping...blood...but the PEOPLE love it. I guess savage rituals haven't really ended.

3) Blue Foam makes everything better. It's true. Even when there is thunder, lighting, horrible amounts of rain, blue foam can make everyone happy. I'm not sure how that even works...but...it does. I guess. Not to mention that being in a wide open field is a safety hazard. But taking risks, in hypothermia or burning, is the epitome of Americanism...

4) Sometimes you win some. Yes, it's a fact that is widely accepted in this nation...you can't ALWAYS lose. You have to win eventually. Ironic, since the saying is what goes up must come down, not the opposite. But I suppose Americans have enough money to defy gravity...because...money...can...do that...?

5) Don't forget the most important fact about Homecoming....it's....uh....well it's got to be...uh...people....want...free...food? THAT'S IT! People want food! And when you offer free food, people will flock, it makes economic sense! I HAVE FINALLY DISCOVERED THE TRUE MEANING OF HOMECOMING! IT'S TO EAT A LOT OF FREE FOOD! Oh wait...maybe that's thanksgiving...

I feel like I've finally discovered the meaning of Christmas...except...only this time...I don't really care. But, Homecoming has it's perks, it has it's interesting traditions...and it ended wet and soggy. But still, homecoming is a vital part of American culture...and somehow I'll figure out this whole cultural confusion...sigh...one of these days...it'll make sense.

Signing Off,
DG

No comments:

Post a Comment